We see most of all new clothing brands know little about what a tech pack design is and why brands need it. Tech pack design shows the pathway for clothing manufacturers to develop a garment. But tech pack design is a point often overlooked by start-up clothing brands. As a result, almost 90% of the production fails to achieve the quality brands need. By all means, you must make sure the product you are developing has a proper blueprint and plan. You invite trouble when you give incomplete information to a clothing manufacturer. So let’s figure out what a tech pack design is and why brands need tech packs for each of their styles.
What is a Tech Pack
When you approach a clothing manufacturer to develop and produce a garment they ask for a tech pack.”A tech pack is a collection of information for a particular style put together by a technical clothing designer in a structured way to enable clothing manufacturers to understand how to prepare a garment. The Tech pack contains necessary information about the garment such as fabrics, color, trims, printing techniques, measurements, etc. A tech pack is a structured piece of information that a clothing designer creates with each detail mentioned in it. Information a clothing manufacturer needs to understand how to make a garment. It contains every detail such as fabric detail, stitching, prints, embroidery, washing, packaging, etc. And the information given is in a systematic manner. Usually, a tech pack contains the following information.
Tech Pack Design Components
The ideal tech pack for a particular style should have the following components. The document should be clear and the components on the tech pack should be clear and well-defined. The basic details of a tech pack are mentioned below.
- 1. Rendered Illustration, Flat sketch. ( shows both the front and back look of the style)
- 2. Color combos details with rendered Illustration and Pantone TPX color mentioned
- 3. Construction details with zoomed illustrated details of important areas of clothing.
- 4. Stitching & construction details
- 5. Graphic print details with color combos.
- 6. Graphic Placement Details. The placement of the graphics on the style says a t-shirt.
- 7. Measurement spec sheet with size gradation (Including measurement of all sizes)
- 8. Trim details (labels, accessories, etc)
- 9. Measurement spec sheet for 4 sizes, small, medium, large, and extra large.
- 10. Bills of Material(BOM). List of materials such as buttons, zippers, fabric, etc
Tips to Reduce Clothing Manufacturing Errors – Tech Pack Design
To prepare yourself to start a clothing brand we have mentioned the prerequisites before. If you still want to know the process, refer to How to build a clothing brand. You need to have your background work done before approaching a technical clothing designer. So to create tech packs for your collection line sheet things that you need are as below. if you are new to the field of apparel production and branding I would always advise consulting a technical clothing designer.
Fashion Consultant and Owner Tech Pack Template [ An Online Store offering Apparel Mock-Ups and Tech Pack Template with detailed Measurement Spec Sheet. Download professional apparel Tech Pack template with detailed measurement spec sheet in excel format and blank clothing mock-up in PDF, illustrator vector format.